Friday, October 18, 2013

Homemade Taco Seasoning



While trying to figure out what to cook for dinner last night, I remembered that I had ground hamburger that I needed to use up. I gave Jordan several options of what I could make, and he decided on Tacos. Soon after the decision had been made as to what I'd cook, I realized that I had no taco seasoning at home. So, I did what I always do first, and that's check out Pinterest to see what I could find. After looking through several recipes, I wasn't overly impressed, and wanted something that included the exact amount required for a pound of hamburger. Finally I stumbled upon a recipe that was originally posted on Brittany's Pantry, and decided to give it a try. It turned out to be a hit! I am not a big fan of spicy food, (you may want to alter the recipe if you like your tacos spicier), and I thought that the blend of flavors were perfect! And the fact that it isn't full of sodium and MSG like the grocery store version makes this easy recipe even better. Enjoy!


Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
4 T chili powder
2 T cumin
2 T paprika
2 T dried oregano
1 T onion powder
1 T garlic powder
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper


Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container.  Add 3 level tablespoonfuls of the mix and 1/2 c of water to 1 lb of ground beef or turkey that has been cooked with 1/2 diced onion.  Stir well and let simmer a bit for the spices to rehydrate, distribute, and the water to evaporate.  Taste for seasoning and add salt if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment