Monday, March 31, 2014

Organic Antioxidant Muffins



We've recently made the switch to organic foods in our house...and aside from the dramatic cost increase, it's the easiest diet switch we've ever made. It doesn't require us to "give up" any foods, doesn't require some odd tasting substitute, and everything tastes better than the non organic versions! There are many obvious health benefits to eating organically, but my main goal was to decrease the amount of GMOs that we consume. I've always made our food homemade and cooked as naturally as I could...but what good does it do to cook from scratch if my ingredients aren't all that natural?!

It has honestly been super easy to eat many of the same foods that we would normally eat, however it requires a lot more cooking from scratch so that I can control every ingredient that goes into the food...Goodbye convenience food! There are some awesome brands of organic convenience foods, but they're so expensive that I can't justify the convenience. So, I took a few trips to Costco and Whole Foods to stock up on organic flour, organic sugar in the raw, organic coconut oil, organic eggs and a few other everyday necessities. From that point, it was simple ingredient swapping on many of our favorite recipes. 

This post features one of our favorite muffin recipes that I tweaked a little. My recipe was actually for blueberry muffins, but I didn't have a lot of blueberries on hand, so I made due with what I had. The original recipe calls for regular flour, sugar etc, but I just swapped all of that for the organic versions...super easy! 

Organic Antioxidant Muffins
  • 2 cups organic unbleached all purpose flour (I used regular, but you could use whole grain)
  • 2 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup organic sugar in the raw
  • 1 stick organic unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 organic egg, slightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup organic whole milk (add more if your batter seems dry)
  • 1 1/2 cup organic antioxidant blend berries (mine included blueberries, strawberries, cherries, raspberries and pomegranate)
  • organic sugar in the raw or organic brown sugar, for topping
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 12 c. muffin tin. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine butter, egg, and milk; mix well. Pour wet ingredients into flour mixture and stir with spatula until combined. Fold berries into batter. Spoon batter into muffin tray, filling cups 2/3 full. Bake 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle top of muffins with sugar and bake muffins an additional 10-15 minutes. Cool 10 minutes in pan. 




No comments:

Post a Comment